Thu 11 Mar 2010
This year, Easter Monday falls on April 5. This day is traditionally a public holiday in Czech Republic since there are many things one has to do on this day!
Everything starts the day before – on Sunday. Czech girls decorate Easter eggs to give them to boys on Easter Monday. Easter eggs are painted hard-boiled eggs and then hand decorated. Boys make a special handmade whip, in Czech called pomlazka, and decorate it with colored ribbons at the end. This whip consists of eight, twelve, or even twenty-four willow twigs, depending on the skills of the boy. Surprisingly enough, the more twigs, the more difficult it is to braid the whip. They are usually from half a meter to two meters long!
On Easter Monday it gets more interesting. In the morning, boys walk from door to door to spank the girls on the legs with their whip. It is to say, that the whipping is rather symbolic. The symbolism is easily traced from the Czech name of the Easter whip – pomlazka, which comes from the world “make younger” in English.
So come to Prague after a long-lasting winter to feel the power of first strong sunlight and see the spring in Prague.
The Easter Package includes:
- Luxury accommodation in one of the Aria´s enchanting music-themed rooms
- Courtesy limousine roundtrip service from/to the airport
- Special Easter amenity in your room upon arrival
- Full A´la Carte breakfast
- Easter menu for 2 persons at CODA Restaurant (excl. beverages)
- Brunch on Easter Monday (excl. beverages)
The individual price of the Easter package is € 302.